Note: This TinyShield has been discontinued and replaced with the WiFi TinyShield (ATWINC1500)
Hook your projects up to the internet with the WiFi TinyShield! Based on the TI CC3000 WiFi module, this module supports 802.11b/g, different security modes (None, WEP, WPA and WPA2) and has a built in TCP/IP Stack that supports up to 4 concurrent BSD style sockets. The easy to use Arduino library supports numerous examples on how to scan SSID's, connect to the access point, run DHCP, ping IP addresses, do DNS lookups, connect as a client to a webserver and download web pages, or even act as your own webserver.
This TinyShield includes an integrated antenna on the board itself with 100 meter range and FCC approval. This TinyShield also includes level shifters and a local power supply to ensure proper and safe operation over the entire TinyDuino operating voltage range up to 5V, and uses a SPI interface to allow for fast data transfers.
Note: This module cannot act as an access point.
To learn more about the TinyDuino Platform, click here
To see what other TinyShields this will work with or conflict with, check out the TinyShield Compatibility Matrix
TI CC3000 WiFi Specs
- IEEE 802.11 b/g (2.4GHz)
- Embedded IPv4 TCP/IP stack
- TX power: +18.0 dBm at 11 Mbps, CCK
- RX sensitivity: –88 dBm, 8% PER, 11 Mbps
TinyDuino Power Requirements
- Voltage: 3.3V - 5.5V
- Active Mode: 92mA typ RX current
- Shutdown Mode: <5uA
- Due to the current requirements, this board cannot be run using the TinyDuino coin cell option
SPI Interface used
- A3 - VBAT_SW_EN: This signal is an input to the WiFi module and is used to enable or disable the module. Set this high to enable the module.
- 8 - SPI_CS: This signal is the SPI chip select for the WiFi module
- 2 - SPI_IRQ: This signal is the interrupt output from the WiFi module and into the TinyDuino.
- 11 - SCLK: This signal is the serial SPI clock out of the TinyDuino and into the WiFi module.
- 12 - MISO: This signal is the serial SPI data out of the WiFi module and into the TinyDuino.
- 13 - MOSI: This signal is the serial SPI data out of the TinyDuino and into the WiFi module.
- 20mm x 36mm (.787 inches x 1.417 inches)
- Max Height (from lower bottom TinyShield Connector to upper top TinyShield Connector): 5.11mm (0.201 inches)
- Weight: 2.54 gram (.09 ounces)
- Upon power up, the enable pin VBAT_SW_EN must be driven HIGH in order to allow the CC3000 to operate.
- This board is compatible with the Adafruit CC3000 WiFi library for the Arduino, however, some pins are different which requires the following minor change near the beginning of the Adafruit examples:
#define ADAFRUIT_CC3000_IRQ 2 // MUST be an interrupt pin!
#define ADAFRUIT_CC3000_VBAT A3
#define ADAFRUIT_CC3000_CS 8