Note: This TinyShield has been discontinued and replaced with the Bluetooth Low Energy TinyShield (ST)
Our Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) TinyShield allows you to connect your TinyDuino system to any compatible iOS or Android (4.3+) device using Bluetooth Low Energy (also known as Bluetooth Smart and Bluetooth 4.0). This technology is great for low power sensors and accessories and works with most modern phones without the need for jailbreaking on iOS devices. This TinyShield is based around the popular Bluegiga BLE112 module, and allows wireless communication up to 10 meters away. The TinyShield also includes power supply and level shifters on the board, so you can run your TinyDuino from 3.0V – 5V.
The Bluegiga BLE112 supports both master and slave modes, so you can communicate between two of them. If you only need slave mode (such as connecting your TinyDuino to a smartphone), take a look at the Bluetooth Low Energy TinyShield Nordic version which is easier to use and lower cost.
Note: This product is for ADVANCED USERS, and requires that the user develops their own iOS or Android BLE app in order to use this. Bluegiga hosts several example apps on how to use BLE communcations here.
To learn more about the TinyDuino Platform, click here.
To see what other TinyShields this will work with or conflict with, check out the TinyShield Compatibility Matrix
Bluegiga BLE112 Specs
- Bluetooth v. 4.0, single mode compliant
- Supports master and slave modes
- Supports up to eight connections
- Integrated Bluetooth Smart stack
- GAP, GATT, L2CAP, SMP
- Bluetooth Smart profiles
- Radio performance
- TX power: +3 dBm to -23 dBm
- Receiver sensitivity: -93 dBm
TinyDuino Power Requirements
- Voltage: 3.0V - 5.5V
- Transmit: 27mA (0 dBm)
- Sleep mode 3: 0.5 uA
- Due to the low current, this board can be run using the TinyDuino coin cell option
- 3 - BLE_TX: This signal is the serial transmit out of the BLE module and into the TinyDuino
- 4 - BLE_RX: This signal is the serial receive of the BLE module from the TinyDuino
- 20mm x 29mm (.787 inches x 1.142 inches)
- Max Height (from lower bottom TinyShield Connector to upper top TinyShield Connector): 5.11mm (0.201 inches)
- Weight: 2.25 grams (.08 ounces)
- The module is preloaded with the BGLib Arduino command set, which is located here.
- An app is required to communicate with this, please check out the Bluegiga product page for information on this.
- Older versions of this board (Rev 1) have the serial lines connected to the hardware serial lines of the TinyDuino processor (pins 0 and 1), therefore the USB TinyShield cannot be used at the same time as the BLE TinyShield. This is not the case with Rev 2 or later versions of this board